Almond Goji Energy Bars
I made a healthy snack today. I’m constantly experimenting with things to grab and chew between the office and the gym, so consider this another recipe in the pre-workout category, although these are delicious any time, with or without a workout. I love a good homemade energy bar in terms of concept, because store-bought ones so frequently disappoint. Loaded with sugar and “gluten-free” trickery, hard-ass dried fruit, chocolate that just doesn’t taste quite right if you close your eyes. I decided to tackle this project myself, using readily-available ingredients like dates and almonds, plus goji berries for a touch of color and exoticism. I forgot that gojis stain a dough orange if you cut them into the other ingredients with a blender, but no harm done. . . the sunny color of these only adds to their appeal.
These are super easy to adapt, too. Simply use whatever nuts you like best or have on hand, and whatever dried fruit is available to substitute for the goji berries. Maybe next time I’ll add a touch of cinnamon or vanilla, but these babies are wonderful as is. They’re moderately more easier to cut if chilled, and are a bit crumbly as you take a bite, but will stick together at room temperature, which is a definite must-have for workout fuel snagged on the go. These energy bars are nutty, a bit chewy, a bit crumbly, keep well and are super filling. I cut them small and ration them out: one per day or I’d eat the whole pan. 😉
So give these a whirl, and feel free to leave off the fancy chocolate drizzle and bee pollen. I simply can’t leave well enough alone where toppings are concerned. Drizzle! Sprinkle! All the things. If you make these, give me a shout in the comments and let me know how it went. Big hugs to all of you this week. xoxo
- 3 cups almonds
- 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup goji berries
- 1/2 cup packed pitted dates
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil, plus more for greasing pan
- 3 eggs
- Pinch salt
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted
- Bee pollen
- Goji berries
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease an 8" square cake pan, set aside.
- Place the ingredients for the bars in a food processor, and pulse until a coarse, chunky dough has formed.
- Transfer the mixture to the greased pan, press into an even layer. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes or until browned.
- Once fully cooked, remove from the oven and let cool in the pan then slice and serve. If desired, top with melted chocolate, bee pollen, more almonds and goji berries.
by Fresh Planet Flavor
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 505kcal Calories from fat 368|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 41g||63%|
|Saturated Fat 14g||70%|
|Dietary Fiber 10g||40%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g||80g|