Antioxidant Superfood Muffins
Hello, friend. I must confess: I don’t believe in OMG ANTIOXIDANT SUPERFOODS too much. I believe that some foods are more full than others of the things that make us healthy and happy, yes. These foods come “packaged” in skin and shells and scales, they have roots and rinds, ripeness and rottenness.
But! Sometimes it’s such fun to play with the buzzwords, to write a recipe crammed with as many delicious natural ingredients as possible that are also included in the “antioxidant superfood” lists (such as they are). Grassfed butter, pastured eggs, cinnamon, turmeric (don’t forget the black pepper, because curcumin loves piperine like peanut butter loves jelly!) and cacao. Blueberries, walnuts, and ginger. With a list of ingredients like that, is it any wonder that these happy, berry-packed, citrus spiked, warmly-spiced, nutty-crunchy little superfood muffins were the result?
Now, blueberry muffins are not the totally-super-unique-snowflake kind of thing to post on a food blog, but these are not your average, everyday blueberry muffins. With a drizzle of coconut cream and a dollop of honeyed goji compote, my first thought when I tasted these was not so much superfood muffins as superhero muffins. These fight crime (all that tummy-friendly grain-free, dairy-free goodness) plus look good doing it. Okay, the analogy is a stretch but if Wonder Woman ate breakfast it would be one of these and a black coffee, to go.
It’s key to go all-in with flavor-forward things when undertaking more health-centric, grain-free baking. The spices, the vanilla, the fruit, the toppings: they all work together in a dance of delicious. If I’m paleo-izing/healthy-fying something to bake, I double-down on the vanilla, use spices and citrus zest with abandon, and reach for flavorful grassfed butter as a general rule. Lastly, stirring the batter with a light touch until everything is just incorporated is key for a nice texture. You could apply that principle to any muffin recipe, but it’s especially important here in a finicky grain-free situation. So let’s get to it. Antioxidant superfood muffins, or more like your basic blueberry muffins taken for the ride of their lives.
These grain free, dairy free, refined-sugar free muffins are loaded with flavor and perfect for breakfast or a power snack.
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup arrowroot flour
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup grassfed butter, softened
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp orange zest
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup blueberries
- 2 tbsp cacao nibs (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin and set aside.
- Pulse the almond flour, arrowroot flour, walnuts, coconut flour, cinnamon, baking soda, turmeric, black pepper, ginger and salt until combined.
- Add the butter, honey, eggs, orange zest and vanilla extract, and then pulse until combined and the walnuts are coarsely ground.
- Stir in the optional cacao nibs and blueberries. Mix in two tablespoons of water to loosen the batter slightly, then spoon into the muffin cups.
- Cook in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, then allow the muffins to come to room temperature in the pan before serving.
by Fresh Planet Flavor