Bacon Stuffed Yuca Bites
It’s that time again, folks! I had a great time rising to the Paleo Pen Pals challenge for the month of May. This will be the third time I’ve participated, and each time I’ve pushed the boundaries of what I thought I could do in the kitchen: February featured Black Garlic Chocolate Donuts (whoo, baby!) and March’s swap resulted in Taro Tartlets. Anyone can participate in Paleo Pen Pals (whether you have a blog or not) so check out the Facebook page for more info.
I mixed boiled yuca with coconut flour and cilantro for a firm yet chewable crust and added interest to ground beef with bacon and cumin for a savory filling. Finished with a dust of paprika, these make charming, unusual finger-food and the perfect pre- or post-workout refuel snack. Enjoy!
These tiny flavor-bombs are perfect as adorable appetizers, portable snacks or simply bacon-cravings busters.
- 1/4 lb bacon (~3 rashers)
- 1/2 lb beef
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- 1.5 lb yuca (~2 small)
- 6 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp arrowroot flour
- 2 tbsp coconut oil + more to grease pan
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika + more for garnish
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- 2 eggs
- Harissa (for dipping, optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a cookie sheet with coconut oil and set aside.
- In a cast-iron or other heavy-bottomed pan, cook ground beef over medium heat until no longer pink, approximately ten minutes, breaking up clumps and stirring periodically.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove from pan and allow to cool.
- Pour off any leftover grease from the beef and add the bacon strips, frying until crispy. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Once cool, mince or shred the bacon in a food processor to a fine crumble. Combine the beef and bacon in a mixing bowl, stir in salt and cumin and set aside.
- Peel the yuca and roughly chop. Place in a medium pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, or until fork tender. Drain, cool, and gently extract the tough, stringy core from the yuca pieces by hand.
- Combine the boiled yucca, eggs and 2 tbsp coconut oil in a food processor and blend until very smooth. The mixture will be extremely gluey. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and add the coconut flour, arrowroot flour, ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp paprika. Mix very thoroughly (batter should be sticky and stiff).
- Mince cilantro and fold into the dough. Roll out the dough between two sheets of plastic wrap to avoid sticking to the rolling pin until about ¼ inch thick.
- Cut out uniform rounds, approximately 4 inches in diameter, with the top of a drinking glass, an aluminum can or biscuit cutter. Place a tbsp of the bacon beef mixture in the center of the dough circles and fold dough gently around the meat, pinching closed and rolling between your palms until round.
- Arrange on the greased cookie sheet and repeat until all dough and filling has been shaped. Finish with a dusting of paprika and bake at 350F until firm (15-20 minutes). Serve warm or cool.
by Fresh Planet Flavor