Hello from 38,000 feet in the air, on my way to spend a week backpacking in the Grand Canyon and exploring Zion National Park. I created this little recipe for low-carb Blueberry Almond Scones as a dense, versatile snack to fuel the trek through the wilderness. 🔥 👣
But this recipe will be useful for you in any situation if you are experimenting with a low-carb diet to lose weight, prevent or correct insulin sensitivity, improve cholesterol levels, regulate energy levels and appetite, and improve memory and learning capacity (source, source, source, source). Because animal welfare and environmental sustainability are also important priorities, I crafted this recipe using grass-fed ghee.
Ghee is a type of clarified butter that is heated, reduced, and triple-filtered.
It is a wonderful, deeply-flavored, naturally lactose-free option for dairy-sensitive tummies. I used the lovely vanilla-infused ghee from 4th & Heart (because every bit of it is so beautifully and intensively perfumed with vanilla) but there are other grass-fed versions on the market also, such as Eat Good Fat ghee, Pure Indian Foods ghee, Vital Ghee and Bulletproof ghee.
- Culinary benefits of ghee include a higher smoke point than normal butter, olive oil or coconut oil, making it a great choice for sautéing or frying foods at high heat.
- Nutritional benefits include richness in butyrate, a short chain fatty acid linked to an immune response that can decrease inflammation and help improve the digestive system (source), very low levels of casein (milk’s main protein) and minimal amounts of lactose, making it better tolerated by those with dairy sensitivities.
In addition to the glorious ghee, there are three more things these Almond Blueberry Scones have going for them:
- Vibrant, vitamin-rich, pastured eggs from Vital Farms (learn why I prefer Vital Farms eggs).
- Great-tasting stevia (that’s not an oxymoron, promise). I considered stevia’s taste to be a deal-breaker until I found this brand.
- Comparatively low-carb fruit. No, blueberries aren’t the most low-carb berry. But they’re a good choice relative to other fruits with a significantly higher count.
In any case, these Blueberry Almond Scones are crunchy on the inside, dense and sweet on the outside… with the berries providing welcome bursts of fruity flavor. Enjoy!
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp powdered stevia (I use the [url href=”http://freshplanetflavor.com/recommends/powdered-stevia/” target=”_blank”]brand that’s winning taste awards[/url])
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup [url href=”http://freshplanetflavor.com/recommends/vanilla-ghee/” target=”_blank”]vanilla ghee[/url], melted
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a baking/cookie sheet, set aside. Combine the almond flour, baking soda, powdered stevia, and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Whisk with a fork to ensure there are no clumps.
- Add the berries, melted ghee, and eggs. Gently mix the ingredients until a firm dough forms. Transfer to the baking sheet and press into a round disc approximately 3/4″ thick.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 – 40 minutes, or until bronwed on the outside and a tester inserted comes out clean.
- Slice and enjoy.