Cheesy Cauliflower Swirl Quiche
Can you tell that I have a thing for quiche? This is the fourth quiche I’ve posted here on the blog, the others being my Sweet Potato Quiche, Sweet Pepper Quiche, Sun-Dried Tomato Quiche and Mushroom Onion Quiche Bites.
The thing is, quiche is an incredible way to experiment with new flavors in a simple format. I was inspired to make this quiche by my friend Caitlin’s Low Carb Cauliflower Macaroni and Cheese. Cauliflower is the sleeper champion of Paleo cooking… and creative Paleo food bloggers do all kinds of things with the unassuming vegetable: pizza crusts, “rice”, creamy soup, and the aforementioned macaroni and cheese. Although those with dairy issues should skip this particular recipe, cauliflower and cheddar seem made for each other.
What’s up with the swirl? I’m not a huge fan of the unvaried look of a plain quiche, so I shredded some bell pepper to add a pop of color and geometric interest. Omit if you’re pressed for time, but it’s an easy way to bring the dish to the next level!
Cheesy cauliflower quiche gets a visual upgrade with a chopped red bell pepper swirl.
- 1 small cauliflower
- 1/2 cup finely grated cheddar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 tbsp coconut oil + more for greasing pan
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Using coconut oil, grease a non-stick 8" fluted tart or pie pan with a removable bottom and set aside.
- Roughly chop the cauliflower, then pulse in a food processor until very finely chopped (approximately the consistency of couscous).
- Melt 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the processed cauliflower, stirring frequently, until softened (about 15 minutes).
- Transfer the cauliflower to a bowl and stir in the grated cheese, making sure it's incorporated fully into the mixture as it melts. Add the salt.
- Allow the cheesy cauliflower mixture to cool until it's just warm to the touch, then stir in the eggs. Beat until mixed, then spoon into the greased pan and level with the back of a spoon.
- Roughly chop the bell pepper, then finely shred in a food processor. Using your fingers, sprinkle the pepper in a rough spiral in top of the cauliflower mixture. Using the tip of a knife, clean up the edges until you have a tidy geometric design.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour, or until browned on the top. Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature, then remove from pan and serve.
by Fresh Planet Flavor
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 143kcal Calories from fat 94|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 10g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||30%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|