Easy Sweet Potato Sausage Layers
I debated whether to post this recipe here on the blog, as it’s really just a “cook this stuff in a skillet and then mix or layer” situation. But! After posting it to Instagram, a few folks piped up that they’d like some specifics to go by, so here’s the method to a quick layered dish featuring my favorite things.
If you don’t have a spiralizer (a pity, because they’re so fun!) then feel free to use a potato peeler to make sweet potato curls, or simply roughly chop the sweet potatoes and load them into a food processor. Pulse until finely diced; the look of the sweet potato layer will be different than my spiralized version but no less delicious.
This savory and easy sweet potato sausage layered dish is the perfect combination of sweet veggies, salty meat, and spicy toppings.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, divided
- 1 large sweet potato
- 3/4 cup marinara sauce, divided
- 2 sausages, cooked and sliced into thin coins
- 1 bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and sliced
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- Freshly-cracked black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Line a 9" square cake pan with enough parchment paper to overlap the sides, set aside.
- Heat one tablespoon of the coconut oil in a large skillet. Peel the sweet potato, then use a spiralizer or potato peeler to cut into long strips. Alternately, use a food processor to shred until finely diced. Cook the sweet potato in the skillet for approximately 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until soft and beginning to fall apart.
- While the sweet potato cooks, heat the second tablespoon of coconut oil in a small skillet. Cook the bell pepper and jalapeño until very soft and beginning to brown, turning occasionally.
- Once the sweet potato is cooked to softness, transfer it into the parchment-lined cake pan. Use the back of a spoon to pack the sweet potato down into a firm layer (the more tightly you pack the sweet potato, the more cleanly the finished dish will cut). Lightly salt the sweet potato layer.
- Spread ½ cup of the marinara sauce over the sweet potato layer, then sprinkle the sausage coins, cooked bell pepper plus jalapeño, and red chili flakes over the sauce. Finish with another light addition of salt, and a few generous cracks of black pepper.
- Cut into serving sizes, then use the parchment paper overlap to lift the layers out of the pan for easy transfer to serving plates using a spatula.
by Fresh Planet Flavor