Say hello to the Fruity Coconut Breakfast Tart! It’s simple to make but interesting to eat, and easy on the eyes. The simple to make part is important, because most of my Saturday mornings are spent at my neighborhood Crossfit box (and by “neighborhood” I mean it’s a ten minute jog away, great warm-up). If I’m going to make breakfast before heading off to the morning WOD (short for workout of the day, in Crossfit terms) I opt for something with minimal prep and this definitely qualifies.
This Fruity Coconut Breakfast Tart is the first recipe here on Fresh Planet Flavor that features my new obsession: freeze-dried strawberries. As sweet as regular dried fruit but with a powdery-light texture and crunch, they lend an incredibly vivid pop of color (don’t they almost look like flower petals?) to anything they’re paired with. I’ve been putting them on smoothies, in breakfast puddings and on top of anything that needs a tad more… something. Usually I’d use goji berries for this purpose but I love the flavor of freeze-dried strawberries so much better! Next on my list to try are all of the other different kinds of freeze-dried fruit: blueberries, raspberries, apples, mangoes and pineapple! Or maybe I’ll just buy the variety pack… delicious.
After creating my Only Coconut Cookies (named after the fact that they’re made entirely of coconut: coconut flour, coconut milk, coconut sugar, coconut oil), I decided to see if it worked well for the base of a breakfast tart loaded with fruit. Success! I rolled the cookie dough out on the parchment paper that I intended to bake it on, which made it easy to transition it to the cookie pan. After baking it until browned, I drizzled it with almond butter and loaded it with fruit. We cut the breakfast tart like a pizza and ate slices of it that way, the crust is firm but pliable.
- 1/2 cup [url href=”http://freshplanetflavor.com/recommends/coconut-flour/” title=”coconut flour”]coconut flour[/url]
- 1/2 cup [url href=”http://freshplanetflavor.com/recommends/coconut-milk/” title=”coconut milk”]coconut milk[/url]
- 1/4 cup [url href=”http://freshplanetflavor.com/recommends/coconut-oil/” title=”coconut oil”]coconut oil[/url]
- 1/4 cup [url href=”http://freshplanetflavor.com/recommends/coconut-sugar/” title=”coconut sugar”]coconut sugar[/url]
- 2 tbsp [url href=”http://freshplanetflavor.com/recommends/almond-butter/” title=”almond butter”]almond butter[/url]
- 1 banana
- 1 handful blackberries
- 1 handful champagne grapes
- [url href=”http://freshplanetflavor.com/recommends/freeze-dried-strawberries/” title=”freeze-dried strawberries”]Freeze-dried strawberries[/url]
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a [url href=”http://freshplanetflavor.com/recommends/cookie-sheet/” title=”cookie sheet”]cookie sheet[/url] with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the ingredients. Transfer the dough to the parchment-lined cookie sheet, and roll the dough out to 1/4″ thickness, shape into a disc.
- Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 15 minutes or until the edges are lightly brown.
- Drizzle the almond butter over the coconut crust using a circular motion.
- Slice the banana and arrange over the almond butter, then scatter on the blackberries, grapes and strawberries.