Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
These Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies have a lot going on. They’re vegan, gluten free, “paleo” (as much as a cookie can be) and delicious in a nutty, crispy way. If you like your cookies gooey, these Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies aren’t for you, because firm and crunchy is what’s going on here.
I flipped through the very first edition of Cherry Bombe magazine this past weekend. If you’re not familiar with Cherry Bombe, it’s a magazine that “celebrates women and food—those who grow it, make it, serve it, style it, enjoy it and everything in between”. I participated as a donor in the magazine’s Kickstarter campaign, and I’m completely wild about the finished product: a beautifully-produced publication packed with recipes, profiles, interviews, little personal touches from famous women in the food scene. Supermodel Karli Kloss is featured on the cover, and the recipe for her Perfect 10 Kookies (gluten free, vegan) included inside is the inspiration for my Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies.
These Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies are not only vegan and obviously gluten free (true to its Kookie roots) but grain free as well. Karlie’s recipe was simple to adapt in a grain-free direction as it features just 10 ingredients, most of which are already acceptable in a grain-free treat. I swapped shredded coconut for the oats, included baking soda and cream of tarter instead of store-bought baking powder (which often contains cornstarch or other unhealthy ingredients), and subbed in maple syrup for the agave. The result is light, crunchy, crumbly, a perfect 10 in taste (no surprise given the combination of chocolate and coconut flakes, two of my favorite things) and dead simple to make.
These easy Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies are simple and delicious with less sugar, and no gluten, preservatives, or artificial flavors.
- Heat oven to 350° F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Combine all ingredients except the chocolate chips and slivered almonds in a food processor, pulse until thoroughly combined.
- Add the chocolate chips and slivered almonds, then process for a few moments more until broken down into the dough to your preference.
- Shape approximately ¼ cup of dough for each cookie into discs and set on the parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies are lightly browned.
by Fresh Planet Flavor