Greek Olive Pie
I‘m 1/4 Greek, you know. My great-grandfather immigrated to the United States in 1909 and my great-grandmother arrived in 1923, both passing through Ellis Island. I credit my Greek heritage with my love of bold flavors, especially in olives of all kinds. So I created this pie as a cold appetizer in which Greek Kalamata olives are the stars of the show. I added citrus to the crust and as a garnish for an unexpected pop of bright flavor. The citrus plays tricks on your mind: you’d swear when eating this that there’s sweetener in the crust, but nope! Just half an orange’s worth of zest folded into the crust and half a lemon’s worth as a garnish. Add mint and sesame and you’ve got an unusual yet tasty offering for a mezze spread. Enjoy!
This savory pie combines the meatiness of Kalamata olives, the brightness of citrus zest, and the cooling flavor of mint for a result that's rich and exotic.
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Zest of 1/2 orange
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion
- 1 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp fresh mint leaves, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease an 8" tart pan and set aside.
- Combine the ingredients for the crust in a medium mixing bowl.
- Press into the tart pan, and bake in the preheated oven for 15-18 minutes. The surface of the crust should be foamy and oily when you remove it from the oven but will dry as it cools.
- To make the filling, heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium skillet. Thinly slice the ½ onion and sautee until very soft.
- Let the onion cool, then add the olives and mix in the pan. Transfer the olive mixture to the cooled crust.
- Grate the zest of ½ lemon over the pie, then sprinkle with the sesame seeds and mint.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.
by Fresh Planet Flavor
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 412kcal Calories from fat 344|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 38g||58%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||20%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g||80g|