I experimented with “meatza” (pizza with a crust of meat) today. I’m loving the chance to do some real cooking with plenty of ingredients on this weekend, after this week spent confined in my apartment due to bronchitis and an eye infection.
I’m posting the recipe for this meatza’s pork crust, which I topped with no-sugar-added pizza sauce, homemade vegan cashew “cheese”, roasted red onions, kalamata olives, fresh oregano and fresh parsley. The vegan cashew cheese was—how do I say this?—gross. Do not recommend. Anyway, make this meatza crust, and top it with delicious toppings of your choice.
One topping that was delicious? Mezzetta pizza sauce. EVERY OTHER BRAND at the grocery store had added sugar in it (what is this, bacon? 😡) but luckily this one came through for me.
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix the ground pork, garlic, dried herbs, and salt and pepper together thoroughly.
- Press the meat mixture into an 10″ round pie pan.
- Bake for 10-15 min or until cooked through. Remove from the oven and drain off any liquid in the pan.
- Add toppings of choice, and enjoy.