Montezuma’s Spicy Chocolate Tart
This is no ordinary chocolate tart.
Its chipotle-spattered topping gives you the first clue: this dessert is muy caliente. Beginning with an ancho chile crust, it features a filling of rich date paste studded with Brazil nuts (and spiced with more ancho chiles and cayenne pepper). The finish is a topping of chipotle ganache. Ta-da!
I call this Montezuma’s Spicy Chocolate Tart because it uses a rough approximation of flavors from the ancient Aztec culture. Chiles and cacao make a dessert fit for an emperor!
Anyway, this little wicked baby packs a flavor punch… make sure you clue who you’re sharing it with that it’s spicy! I got the beginning of the idea from this Buzzfeed list of gluten-free recipes: the Mayan Dark Chocolate Pie instantly caught my eye, but it features “vanilla coconut milk beverage” as a main ingredient. Um, no thanks. So! I set out to make a version that remains vegan yet Paleo folks can still enjoy as a treat. I turned the dial WAY UP on the spiciness and used dates to make a luscious filling that pairs perfectly with the chipotle ganache. Unusual, decadent, very adult.
A sturdy, spicy crust made from almond flour and coconut oil is filled with a nut-studded date paste and topped with silky raw cacao and chipotle ganache.
- 1 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- Coconut oil, for greasing tart pan
- 8 large dates, pitted and soaked in 1/3 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup Brazil nuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- To make the crust, preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8" tart pan with a removable bottom and set aside.
- Mix the almond flour, 2 teaspoons of ancho chile powder and salt together with a fork.
- Stir in the coconut oil and maple syrup. Press into the greased tart pan, then bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until golden.
- Allow to cool, then chill while you prepare the filling.
- Combine all ingredients for the filling in a food processor (including the dates' soaking liquid), then puree until smooth.
- Spread the paste into the chilled crust, smooth with the back of a spoon. Chill while you prepare the ganache.
- Combine all ingredients for the ganache, then spread over the chilled filling. Level carefully, push the edges of the ganache snugly up to the crust.
- To garnish, scatter half of the ¼ cup finely chopped Brazil nuts over the tart.
- Mix the chipotle paste and maple syrup together, stir in the last half of the ¼ cup Brazil nuts. Sprinkle over the tart.
- Chill, then serve.
by Fresh Planet Flavor
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 716kcal Calories from fat 333|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 37g||57%|
|Saturated Fat 16g||80%|
|Dietary Fiber 12g||48%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|