Grain-Free Blueberry Boy Bait
I love recipes with fun names, and classic American baking features some great recipe titles. “Blueberry Boy Bait” may be among the best, however. No, I can’t take credit for the name but I can take credit for an amazing grain-free adaption of a decadent treat (that may be even better than the original, who knows?) using all grain/gluten-free, low glycemic ingredients.
Speaking of the original, it has the story one might expect behind its coy name: “blueberry boy bait” placed second (they were just jealous) in the junior division of the 1954 Pillsbury Grand National Baking Contest. Fifteen year-old Adrienne Powell submitted this family recipe named for the affect it had on boys. Anyway, the Examiner doesn’t call this a “bake sale classic” for no reason. My version has a meltingly rich, almost cake-y texture, with just the right amount of berries to liven it up. I’ll definitely be making this on a visit back to Texas this summer, because it has down-home Southern delicious written all over it.
If you’re curious about the coconut sugar listed in the ingredients, that’s the “low glycemic” aspect I mentioned above. There’s something called the Glycemic Index that ranks carbs on a scale of 0 to 100, with higher values given to foods that cause the most rapid rise in blood sugar. Pure glucose is ranked 100, white sugar is 65 and honey is 55 (and a white potato is 85). Coconut sugar only clocks in at 35! So, while this tastes like oven-browned, blueberry-speckled heaven, it’s actually taking your blood sugar for a comparatively smooth ride.
So give this a try, and… happy boy-baiting? 😉
Grain-Free Blueberry Boy Bait is a delicious, moist, single-layer cake studded with fresh blueberries.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8x8" pan with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, grind the coconut sugar to a fine dust. Transfer to a large mixing bowl, then stir in the almond flour, baking soda, cream of tarter and salt.
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream together the coconut milk, eggs and shortening with a hand mixer until frothy.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry, then stir in the blueberries (reserving a scant handful). Spoon the batter into the pan, and level briefly with the back of the spoon.
- Sprinkle the reserved blueberries on top, and press gently down into the batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes OR until browned, firm, and a tester inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly, then slice and serve.
by Fresh Planet Flavor
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 415kcal Calories from fat 300|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 33g||51%|
|Saturated Fat 9g||45%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g||80g|