Chicken and Biscuits
I don’t know when I first tasted chicken and biscuits. Maybe my beloved Texas grandmother made it for me, I can’t be sure. What I very much DO know is that this is the perfect dish to serve on a cold winter night, preferably in front of a roaring fire. Like a deconstructed chicken pot pie, you top this unfussy recipe with biscuits instead of a crust.
Tip: this dish is a great way to make use of the last of a roasted chicken. All those little scraps of dark meat lend a great depth of flavor to the simple combo of homey vegetables.
If you’re wondering if you can leave the arrowroot flour out, go ahead. This chicken and biscuits recipe is perfectly savory and wonderful without it… the arrowroot merely replicates the effect of wheat flour in the original. You know, that slight thickness and gooeyness! It’s sort of my favorite part, but the choice is up to you. 🙂
In this grain-free riff on the delicious Southern dish chicken and biscuits, vegetables are cooked in broth until soft, then mixed with chicken and topped with coconut flour biscuits.
- Heat the butter, ghee or oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the sliced onion, chopped carrots and celery. Sauté until beginning to soften, approximately 5-10 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken, then pour in 1 cup stock and simmer until reduced.
- Add the last ½ cup stock, arrowroot flour, peas and salt.
- Mix well until the peas are warmed and the consistency of the combination is soft with a touch of gooeyness from the arrowroot.
- Top with warm biscuits and serve.
by Fresh Planet Flavor
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 472kcal Calories from fat 240|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 27g||42%|
|Saturated Fat 15g||75%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||20%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g||80g|