Chicken Scallopini (with Zoodles)
This Chicken Scallopini is quite non-traditional. But that never stopped me before, and this version is delicious in its own way. I’d say it tastes both rich and fresh at the same time… although you might think that those are mutually exclusive characteristics! Traditional scallopini is made with noodles, mushrooms, broth, white wine and cream. Very heavy, and not Paleo in the slightest.
Mine uses the strong, salty flavors of bacon, sun-dried tomatoes and capers (and balances the meatiness of the chicken thighs with plenty of vegetables in the form of artichoke hearts and zucchini noodles). This recipe also features a non-traditional treatment of the meat: it’s not sliced thin or pounded out! Feel free to do either, but I opted for the short-cut of using chicken thighs as is. 🙂 Many thanks to Tanya from Feed the Clan for her (Primal) recipe that’s the foundation for my Paleo Chicken Scallopini! Although mine and hers differ quite a bit, there’s nothing like other bloggers for a spark of inspiration. One last thing: this is a one-pot meal! Or one skillet, as the case may be. Easy, peasy.
This paleo chicken scallopini uses the rich flavors of bacon, capers, parsley and sun-dried tomatoes to make a delicious combo with chicken and 'zoodles'.
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 slices of bacon
- 3/4 cup (packed) artichoke hearts
- 1/4 cup (packed) sun-dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 zucchini, spiralized
- Handful flat-leaf parsely
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and cook the bacon until brown and crispy. Remove and let drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Fry the chicken in the bacon fat until crisped on the outside and cooked through (varies according to size). Remove and let drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Pour off the grease, then cook the zoodles, tossing occasionally with tongs or a fork, until softened to your preference.
- Press the back of a serving spoon or spatula against one side of the cooked zoodles and tilt the skillet to drain the water rendered by cooking the zoodles.
- Return the skillet to the heat, then toss the zoodles with the capers, artichoke hearts,salt and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Crumble the strips of bacon over the vegetables and return the chicken thighs to the pan until reheated. Serve warm, garnished with parsley and a squeeze of lemon juice.
by Fresh Planet Flavor
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 329kcal Calories from fat 122|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 14g||22%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||20%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|