Paleo Hobbit Bread
Is this irrevocably nerdy? I’ve noticed the wave of Paleo “breads” made from nuts and seeds (like Roost’s Savory Pecan Biscuits and Green Kitchen Stories’ Paleo Bread) and they all remind me of hobbit bread. As in, bread that hobbits would make, using nuts and seeds foraged from the forests and eggs laid by treasured hens. My version doesn’t have anything fussy like psyllium husks for binding… because if it’s not at Whole Foods then it’s officially too hard to find (and I’m trying to stay as close to what, um, hobbits might have used as ingredients.
This paleo hobbit bread is made from nut and seeds and a bit of fruit... and would be at home on any table in the Shire.
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 3/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 apple, cored
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly grease a 12-cup silicone muffin pan, set aside.
- Mix the ingredients together in a food processor. Pulse until a coarse paste forms.
- Spoon into the muffin pan, flatten the tops with your fingers or the back of a spoon.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes or until the edges are browned but not burnt.
- Let cool for a few minutes, then serve with toppings such as fruit compote, yogurt and a sprinkling of seeds, if desired.
by Fresh Planet Flavor
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 176kcal Calories from fat 137|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 15g||23%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g||80g|