Allergy-Friendly Sex in a Pan (Updated with Sustainable Shortening)
This recipe is an allergy-friendly recreation of Sex in a Pan, which is traditionally layers of pudding, cream cheese and whipped cream stacked on a sweet crust. I changed the ingredients to be dairy-free and grain-free, but still accomplished six layers of decadence. The cashew butter can be easily substituted for sun-butter (sunflower seed butter) and the pecans for shredded coconut to make it nut-free, too.
I don’t know where the name originates, but the first time I came across a recipe for Sex in a Pan was Chocolate-Covered Katie’s version. I immediately resolved to make an allergy-free iteration sweetened only with dates and bit of honey, and yet preserve amazing taste. Developing my version was quite an adventure: more than an hour was required to put together the layers! I was worried that the textures would simply fail (would layers upon layers of dessert goo really work when it came to slicing and eating?) but with the addition of shortening, the chilled final result is actually quite firm.
Speaking of the shortening, I want to be clear that I recommend certified sustainable palm shortening for use in this recipe. While palm oil has the reputation of casing deforestation and habitat loss, organizations such as the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil are working to promote sustainably-harvested palm oil so the product has as little impact on the environment as possible. With demand for palm oil set to double by 20301, it is a critical time to vote with our dollars to help these sustainable methods flourish. Our desserts will be that much sweeter.
Ready to experience Sex in a Pan?
This is the allergy-friendly version of the unrepentant dessert Sex in a Pan, which may get its name from its six layers, or may get its name because it's awesome.
- 1 1/2 cups pecans
- 3/4 cup dates
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 2/3 cup cashew butter
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Pinch salt
- 1/3 cup arrowroot flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 cups shortening
- 4 tbsp honey
- Grated chocolate, at least 80% cacao
- To make the crust, roughly chop the pecans then pit and chop the dates. Load both into a food processor and pulse until ground but still crumbly. Transfer to a bowl and work in the coconut oil, then press the sticky mixture into a single smooth layer at the bottom of a square 8' x 8' cake pan.
- Transfer to the refrigerator to chill while you begin the second layer. To make the second layer, combine its ingredients very well in a medium mixing bowl. Spoon over the chilled crust, smoothing as much as possible with the back of a spoon. Place the pan back in the fridge.
- To make the third layer, mix its ingredients together in a mixing bowl and then spoon over the chilled, hardened second layer. Smooth as much as possible, then chill.
- Add the fourth layer by combining its ingredients and then layering it into the pan in the same way as the previous layers.
- For the fifth layer, mix the shortening and honey with a hand mixer until very smooth and spoon over the chilled fourth layer.
- Before placing the pan back into the refrigerator after adding the fifth layer, grate very dark chocolate over the top to the depth of your preference. Chill the pan for an additional half hour or more, then slice with a sharp knife and serve.
by Fresh Planet Flavor
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 533kcal Calories from fat 439|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 49g||75%|
|Saturated Fat 15g||75%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g||80g|