Raw Cashew Persian Dreamcake
Oh, you guys.
Can something taste beautiful? If anything does, it’s this cashew cheesecake. In fact, I had to work hard to make the cake look as lovely as it tastes. The combination of whipped cashews, saffron and rosewater with a pistachio crust makes for a dessert out of The Arabian Nights.
It took me ages to work up the courage to attempt a cashew cheesecake. Or, “cheesecake”, I should say. I saw My New Roots’ Raw Cashew Dreamcake the year before last, but always assumed I didn’t have a powerful enough food processor. There comes a point, though, when you’ve simply got to give things a try… and with a bit of (dairy-free) technique guidance from Savory Lotus’ Happy Belly Cheesecake and a nudge of flavor inspiration from the Persian Love Ice Cream at And Here We Are, I put this together. Doesn’t it remind you of Frederick Leighton’s Flaming June?
Okay, maybe that’s not the first thing that crosses everyone’s mind, but sometimes random facts from my college art history class surface at unexpected times! Anyway, she’s a beautiful dreaming lady and this is a beautiful dreamy cake.
This cake combines the exotic flavor of saffron and rose water with the sweetness of pistachios and cashews for a decadent treat.
- 3/4 cup pistachios
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 3 tbsp honey
- 5 tbsp coconut oil
- Coconut oil for greasing pan
- Pistachios, chopped
- Rose petals
- HOURS AHEAD: place the 3 cups of cashews in a large mixing bowl, cover with filtered water and allow to soak for 24 hours.
- When you're ready to prepare the cake, begin with the crust. Grease an "8 round cake pan and set aside.
- Pulse the ingredients for the crust until it forms a loose, sticky crumble, then press into the bottom of the greased pan until solidly and evenly packed. Refrigerate while you make the filling.
- To prepare the filling, blend the ingredients together, stopping periodically to scrape down the sides.
- Process until smooth, then transfer to the greased pan. Level the filling over the chilled crust with the back of a spoon, then crumble a pinch of saffron and some chopped pistachios on top.
- Allow to chill for at least an hour to set.
- Before serving, top with rose petals.
by Fresh Planet Flavor
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 364kcal Calories from fat 282|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 31g||48%|
|Saturated Fat 18g||90%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|