Cherries aren’t my favorite fruit. That honor goes to pineapple. No, mango. Some tropical fruit, for sure. But cherries do have a special place in my heart: my favorite ice cream flavor is Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia and I could drink black cherry juice by the gallon. So, when I saw a recipe for the rustic French dessert clafoutis (grain-free!) from Tanya at Feed the Clan, I was hooked. Traditionally recipes for clafoutis are full of gluten, dairy and sugar so I was excited by the idea of converting it with ingredients that are a bit more digestion-friendly.
I adapted Tanya’s recipe a bit according to what I had available in my pantry, but I may make a coconut flour version of this in the near future (my version, made last night, was such a hit that 2/3 of it was devoured five minutes out of the oven and the last fraction was finished this morning). I used coconut oil for this recipe for all those dairy-free folks, but I think this would be amazing made with grass-fed butter. If you’re comfortable baking with butter, this is definitely an occasion for Kerrygold.
Clafoutis is basically a puffy, sweet pancake with cherries embedded in its surface. This grain-free, dairy-free, honey sweetened version is good for dessert, breakfast, or a snack.
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped (or 1 tbsp vanilla extract)
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup cherries, pitted
- 1 tbsp coconut flour (for dusting)
- Preheat oven to 400F. Melt 1 tbsp coconut oil in an 8 inch cast-iron skillet or other non-stick baking dish.
- Beat together the eggs, coconut milk, 2 tbsp coconut oil, honey and vanilla. in a small mixing bowl.
- Combine the almond flour, cinnamon and salt in a larger mixing bowl (sift for best results).
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing thoroughly. Then pour gently into the cast-iron skillet, sprinkle with the pitted cherries and bake in pre-heated oven for 20 minutes until set.
- Allow to cool, then sprinkle with a fine dusting of coconut flour.
by Fresh Planet Flavor
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 386kcal Calories from fat 275|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 31g||48%|
|Saturated Fat 14g||70%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||20%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g||80g|