These could be called “hedgehog snacks” just as easily as “hedgehog cookies” because they’re only slightly sweet, but so fun to eat and moderately filling (perfect for tiding kids over until the next meal, I think). This recipe is actually a grain-free, dairy-free, gluten-free, sugar-free version of a conventional recipe for hedgehog cookies, a batch of which was made to take to my nephew’s two-year birthday party! While I wouldn’t say these are are sugary enough for a birthday treat, they’re definitely perfect enjoyed how I eat them: savored slowly with a cup of coffee.
These adorable little cookies are perfect for children or whenever you're in the mood to have fun with your food.
- 3 eggs
- 15 dates
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 3 teaspoons cocoa
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine three tablespoons of the oil, three eggs, vanilla extract and dates in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Mix the almond flour, coconut flour, three tablespoons cocoa, and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir the wet mixture into the dry until fully combined (dough will be extremely stiff). Shape dough (approximately 1 tablespoon for each cookie) into spheres between your palms. Elongate one end and sharpen to an upturned point for the nose.
- Repeat the shaping process for the remainder of the dough, then bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until firm.
- Let the cookies cool to room temperature, then wet the tops and backs with the whisked egg. Roll each in the shredded coconut, brushing off any that does not fully adhere.
- Bake for five minutes more, being careful not to burn the shredded coconut.
- While the cookies bake, mix three teaspoons of cocoa and one teaspoon of coconut oil together. Once the cookies have been removed from the oven and cooled slightly, paint noses and eyes on each cookie (using the end of a chopstick or other sharp implement for precision).
- Allow to cool fully, serve at room temperature.
by Fresh Planet Flavor
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 214kcal Calories from fat 105|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 12g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||25%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||24%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g||80g|