These tiny golden pucks of deliciousness score A+ on taste, ease and nutrition. Caramelized onions, mushrooms and eggs are among my favorite things to put in my mouth even on a bad day, and stirred together with chicken chunks and coconut milk and baked for 15 minutes into tiny, savory snacks? WIN. Win, win, win.
Anyway, as usual these are dairy-free, grain-free, Paleo… whatever you like to call it. These could easily accommodate the addition of whatever veggies you’ve got in the fridge, although if you add volume you’ll need two muffins tins because this recipe as is fits perfectly in a 24-cup mini muffin tin.
Go on, whip these up for breakfast this week.
Tiny, protein-packed bites of breakfast goodness. No crust of any kind, the only carbs are the veggies!
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Grease a 24-cup mini muffin tin with coconut oil, set aside.
- Melt the ghee or bacon/duck fat in a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Thinly slice the onions and cook in the skillet until very soft and brown, stirring occasionally to avoid singeing (approximately 20 minutes).
- Remove onions to a medium mixing bowl to cool.
- Whirl the mushrooms in the food processor or dice very fine. Cook in the skillet until soft and all of the liquid has evaporated (approximately 15 minutes). Add to the onions in the mixing bowl.
- Once the mushrooms and onions have cooled, add the chicken, coconut milk, salt and pepper.
- Whisk in the eggs, then spoon into the muffin tin.
- Cook in the preheated oven for 15 minutes until just set. Remove and let sit 10 minutes, serve warm.