Getting right down to brass tacks, because none of us have any time at all right these days (amirite?): the rich flavor of this slow cooker curry and its hands-off technique make for the perfect meal-prep situation. Load the ingredients into the slow cooker in 20 minutes flat before leaving for the office and low, slow heat does the rest while I’m gone? Sold. You could shave 3 minutes off of this and dump in a jar of pre-made curry paste, but better to mix your own spices according to this recipe and save that same three minutes by shredding the bell pepper(s) in the food processor with the sweet potato, garlic and onions instead of taking the time to cut them into strips.
I kept them in strips for a bit of texture in the finished dish, but everything cooks down so much that it’s difficult to differentiate the vegetables from the meat and sauce anyway! Curries are my favorite type of cold weather food (beating ramen and pho by a hair) and homemade slow cooker curry has an amazing vibe all its own. Leave out the chili flakes if you prefer a milder situation, and top with coconut milk, cilantro, cashews and more paprika to win presentation points. 🙂
The point of the “1-3 bell peppers” listed below is to fill your slow cooker to the brim with vegetables. After the onions, sweet potato, garlic and ginger were added I only had room for one bell pepper (in fact I had to press the contents down firmly to get the lid of the slow cooker on) but you may have room for more than one! You can also sub carrots or winter squash for the sweet potato, or stir something like frozen peas into the hot finished curry a few minutes before serving.
- 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 12-oz bag of pearl onions (or 1 medium onion, chopped)
- 1-3 bell peppers (depending on the size of your slow cooker)
- 1 cup [url href=”http://freshplanetflavor.com/recommends/coconut-milk/” title=”coconut milk”]coconut milk[/url]
- 1 sweet potato, approximately 1.5 lbs
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 1″ piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 6-oz can tomato paste
- 4 tsp paprika
- 3 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- Place the chicken in a [url href=”http://freshplanetflavor.com/recommends/crock-pot-slow-cooker/” title=”Crock-Pot Slow Cooker”]slow cooker[/url], and then pour the coconut milk over the meat.
- Peel the sweet potato and roughly chop. Pulse the chopped sweet potatoes, ginger and garlic in a [url href=”http://freshplanetflavor.com/recommends/food-processor/” title=”food processor”]food processor[/url] until finely shredded, then add on top of the chicken and coconut milk.
- Layer the onions on top of the sweet potato mixture.
- Core the bell peppers, then slice into strips. Add on top of the onions, then spoon in the tomato paste.
- Top with the paprika, coriander, salt, chili flakes, turmeric and cumin. Set the slow cooker to low and cook for 9 hours, or to high and cook for 6.
- Stir the curry to break up the chicken and combine the ingredients, then serve topped with cilantro and cashews, plus more paprika and coconut milk (optional).