One-Pan Spaghetti Squash Chow Mein (Grain-Free)
This Spaghetti Squash Chow Mein is just my latest tribute to a long-time love: the versatile, delicious, easy-going spaghetti squash. Once I tried cooking spaghetti squash in the microwave, it opened up a whole new world and I’ve never looked back.
If you’re looking for more spaghetti squash goodness, see my Spicy Spaghetti Squash Beef Bowl, One-Pan Spaghetti Squash Chicken Chorizo Skillet, or even my Simple Spiced Spaghetti Squash for an easy side dish.
So when I saw Little Bits Of’s recipe on Pinterest (I love getting inspiration for meals on Pinterest! Do you? Follow along…) I knew I had to make my own version. I also have a bit of a thing for one-pan meals, specifically skillet meals, so when that concept is combined with spaghetti squash, I can’t resist.
Regarding the best pan for this Spaghetti Squash Chow Mein, I used a big cast-iron skillet. However, I’ve been reading this article/thread over on Serious Eats (huge Serious Eats fan here) and cannot wait to add a wok to my collection of kitchenware. I’ve recommended the one I have my eye on below the recipe, give it a look.
Spaghetti Squash Chow Mein: a simple grain-free, gluten-free, veggie-stuffed dinner for the whole family.
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cabbage, sliced thin
- 2 small carrots, shredded
- 1 2-lb spaghetti squash
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1-inch worth of freshly-grated ginger
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 lb shrimp (peeled and de-veined)
- 5 oz cooked chicken (~1 large breast/thigh) chopped or sliced thin
- Green onions, spring onions, or chives
- In a large wok of skillet, heat the coconut oil and sesame oil over medium-low heat. Cook the onions in the oil until soft and translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for approximately 30 seconds, until fragrant, then add the sliced cabbage and shredded carrots. Cook for 10 minutes, until the vegetables are soft while you prepare the spaghetti squash.
- Carefully pierce the spaghetti squash rind several times at various places with a sharp knife. Microwave for 6 minutes on high, then turn the squash over and cook for an additional 6 minutes. Remove from the microwave, and split open from end to end, being careful of escaping steam. Let sit to cool while you prepare the sauce.
- Mix together the coconut aminos, honey, fish sauce, grated ginger, chili flakes, salt, and black pepper.
- Remove the seeds from the center of the spaghetti squash and scrape the spaghetti squash strands into the veggies in the wok or skillet. Stir together, then add the sauce, shrimp, and add the cooked chicken. Heat until the shrimp are pink and cooked, then taste for seasoning and add more salt, chili flakes, grated ginger, fish sauce, etc. if desired.
- Top with green onions, spring onions or chives (snipped thin), and serve warm.
by Fresh Planet Flavor