Spaghetti Squash Yoga Bowl
The past two Saturday mornings I have happily toted my mat across town for a group yoga session and core workout under huge, spreading oaks in Golden Gate Park. It’s a perfect way to kick-start the weekend, and has left me feeling refreshed, centered and energized both times. Yesterday I arrived back at my apartment afterward craving something with tons of texture and flavor, but with a plant-forward twist. The First Mess’ gorgeous spaghetti squash bowl crossed my mind, so here’s my (streamlined, Paleo-friendly) take on her recipe plus a little tribute to the enjoyment of an outdoor workout with a great group of fitness-minded folks each weekend.
The sauce is thick and tangy-sweet, helping to cut the bitterness of the broccolini and kale. I added a sprinkle of red chili flakes for a bit of spark on a cloudy day, but omit if you prefer a milder finish. This recipe is vegan in order to really let the vegetables shine, but there’s plenty of fat in the sauce for flavor and satiety. If you really love meat with every meal, however, I think chopped chicken or maybe shredded pork would work in this.
This recipe combines vegetables with a rich cashew lime sauce for the perfect post-yoga lunch.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 lbs spaghetti squash
- 4 kale stalks
- 2 bunches broccolini
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp cashew butter
- 1 lime
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp coconut aminoes
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- Sesame seeds (white and black)
- Red chili flakes
- Cook the spaghetti squash (I used this technique). Remove the seeds, scrape out the strands, and set aside.
- To make the sauce, peel and roughly chop the fresh ginger. Add the ginger, juice of 1 lime, plus the cashew butter, apple cider vinegar, coconut sugar, coconut aminoes, sesame oil, salt and ⅓ cup coconut oil to a blender.
- Puree the ingredients for the sauce until smooth, then toss with the spaghetti squash to thoroughly coat.
- In a large skillet, melt 1 tbsp coconut oil over medium heat. Trim the ends of the broccolini, then roughly chop and add it to the skillet.
- Trim the ends of the kale stalks, roughly chop and add to the broccolini. Cook until bright green and beginning to wilt, then stir into the spaghetti squash.
- Divide the vegetable mixture into bowls, then top with red chili flakes, cashews, and sesame seeds.
by Fresh Planet Flavor