Walnut Sweet Potato Biscuits with Mushroom Gravy
Biscuits and gravy is a slight guilty pleasure of mine, probably because my parents wouldn’t let me eat the dish growing up. The white, clumpy, greasy, unidentifiably meaty chunkiness that is traditional Southern biscuits and gravy never darkened the doors of my childhood home.
Now there’s a morbid fascination with it that I can’t shake, so today I took the concept out for a thoroughly grown-up spin: rich, nutty, sweet potato biscuits with a hearty, herb-y gravy on top, all piping hot with lots of fresh black pepper. Would you be into that?
These walnut sweet potato biscuits are sweet, nutty and soft a bit of crust on the outside... perfect to pair with mushroom cauliflower gravy.
- 2 cups walnuts
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 3/4 cup cooked sweet potato, mashed
- 1 egg
- 2 cups cooked cauliflower
- 1/2 tsp fish sauce
- 4 tsp coconut oil, divided
- 1/4 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 lb sliced or torn mushrooms
- Thyme leaves
- Black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To make the biscuits, grind the walnuts, salt, pepper and baking soda in a food processor until a coarse meal forms. Stir in the thyme leaves, egg and sweet potato, and then pulse again until thoroughly combined.
- Shape into discs approximately ½ inch thick and 3 inches in diameter. Bake on the lined baking sheet in the preheated oven for approximately 30 minutes or until browned and firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and cool slightly.
- While the biscuits bake, make the gravy by combining the cooked cauliflower, fish sauce, 2 teaspoons of coconut oil, salt, and coconut milk in a food processor and puree until smooth. Set aside.
- Saute the mushrooms: heat 2 teaspoons of coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are soft and quite brown. Transfer the cauliflower mixture into the pan, combine with the mushrooms. Once hot, remove from the heat.
- Place a scoop of the mushroom mixture on a plate and top with a warm biscuit or two. Garnish with thyme leaves and black pepper.
by Fresh Planet Flavor
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 44kcal Calories from fat 32|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 4g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g||80g|