Whole30: Day 1
Today I started the Whole30 Program, a thirty-day “dietary reset”. It’s thirty days without grains, processed sugar, alcohol, dairy. The Whole30 site states the basic rules of the program as:
Eliminate the most common craving-inducing, blood sugar disrupting, gut-damaging, inflammatory food groups for a full 30 days. Let your body heal and recover from whatever effects those foods may be causing. Push the reset button with your health, habits, and relationship with food, and the downstream physical and psychological effects of the food choices you’ve been making. Learn how the foods you’ve been eating are actually affecting your day-to-day life, long term health, body composition, and feelings around food.
I’ve done it before, three years ago, and what do I remember?
- No more sugar cravings, and no more getting “hangry”.
- No more hangovers.
- No more battling constant, low-grade fatigue and fuzzy-headedness.
- No more last five pounds of stubborn body fat.
So I’m ready for another round. Figuratively ready, that is, not at literally ready… since I’ve spent the past week being ill with an acute respiratory infection and an eye infection (in both eyes!) with zero chance to shop for ingredients or prep any meals.
Whole30 Day 1 Food
Being highly contagious, I scrounged around the apartment to feed myself. Since my hunger came back in a major way today (hopefully this means I’m recovering?!) I ate a bizarre combination of things:
- Breakfast: none
- Lunch: 4 eggs (scrambled in bacon grease), 2 pieces of bacon, 1/2 avocado
- Dinner: 2 Teton Waters Ranch sausages (ingredients: grass-fed beef, water, seasoning (spices, sea salt, spice extractives), sea salt, vinegar, celery powder, cherry powder) + a side of steamed green beans
- 3 bowls of Pace Picante Sauce (ingredients: crushed tomatoes (water, crushed tomato concentrate), water, jalapeño peppers, onions, distilled vinegar, dehydrated onions, salt, garlic, natural flavoring)
- 2 bowls of sprouted lentils and kale microgreens mixed with Olive Harvest Tapenade (ingredients: extra virgin olive oil, black olives, green olives, fresh carrots and cauliflower, roasted red peppers, fresh onions, Kalamata olives, capers, fresh garlic, Italian seasoning) and topped with a drizzle of olive oil
- 1 handful of Trader Joe’s salted almonds (ingredients: almonds, salt)
- Fluids: tea, black coffee, La Croix
Nothing glam, and nothing inventive. Not even a recipe, properly speaking. While I have no idea what spawned the enormous craving for the Pace Picante Sauce, and while I’ll do better at cutting down on the snacking and upping my micronutrients when my health is 100%, I’m satisfied with my Whole30 Program Day 1, all things considered. 😌